Official website of the Yashnabad District Administration
Font size:
Color scheme:
Images:
GUM (Main Department Store)
GUM (Main Department Store)

Opened in 1972, the Main Department Store (GUM) is an exemplary combination of functionality and minimalism in design and one of the most prominent representatives of modernism in the center of the old city.

The building was designed as a four-story structure taking into account the surrounding development. At the time of design, the Kukeldash Madrasa, located on a hill, dominated the square. The GUM, also placed on an elevation, together with a planned hotel to its left, was intended to form a symmetrical ensemble with the madrasa. Later, the construction of the hotel to the left of GUM was abandoned; instead, a hotel was built under a new project named “Moscow,” later renamed “Chorsu,” and demolished in 2025.

Designed by architects L. Komissar, A. Freytag, and I. Pak, GUM embodied new trends in creating shopping complexes that emerged after the construction of TsUM: separation of customer flows, cargo transport, and service personnel; convenient loading and rapid movement of goods; and rational connection between storage areas and sales floors.

The building’s and the entire square’s main decoration was a cascading waterfall descending into a large pool. Unfortunately, during reconstruction, the waterfall and pool were removed and replaced with a parking lot.

From 2004 to 2011, the former GUM building housed the Turkuaz store. Later, management passed to “Toshkent Savdo Markazi” LLC, and in 2017 the shopping complex reopened as “Savdo Toshkent Markazi,” featuring stores for household appliances, men’s and women’s clothing, and children’s goods. In 2021, the building was purchased by “Buyuk Eco Savdo” LLC for 242.8 billion sums.

Also interesting places
Yunus Khan Mausoleum
Yunus Khan Mausoleum

Yunus Khan of Moghulistan (1415-1487) was a gifted man and influential politician. He ruled over Ta...

The Gates of the Lost Fortress
The Gates of the Lost Fortress

In 1865, a military fortress was built on the left bank of the Anhor, near the Qaytmas Gate. Surro...

Catholic Cathedral
Catholic Cathedral

The Roman Catholic Cathedral of the Sacred Heart of Jesus began construction in 1912 on the high ba...

“Anhor” Café
“Anhor” Café

The teahouse on the Anhor canal bank was built in 1956 according to the design of architect V. M. D...